HotelChatter: High End High Altitude Casa Cartagena in Cusco

While I was in Peru last week, I stopped in Cusco for a night at the very end of the trip. When I told my friends who'd been there that I was headed for the high-altitude city at the edge of the Andes, all of them asked if I was staying at Orient-Express' famous Hotel Monasterio.

Unfortunately, I didn't have that pleasure (though I did pop in there for a quick site inspection--beautiful!), but I can't say I was disappointed because...I loved the hotel where I stayed even better!

Right next door to the Monasterio, in fact, the Casa Cartagena is Cusco's newest boutique luxury property, with just 16 rooms housed in a picturesque 17th-century mansion, that was itself built on an Incan sacred site. In contrast to the classical colonial architecture, the decor was all modern and hip, with groovy lamps, leather bed headboards, huge minimalist soaking tubs, and all kinds of other lovely touches.

Take a look at my HotelChatter story about the place by clicking on the link below, and you can take a video walk-through tour of my room and see photos of some of the others, including the one where Susan Sarandon stayed last year with her family.

Link: http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/2010/7/12/22343/8620/hotels/High_Altitude_Means_High_End_at_Cusco_s_New_Casa_Cartagena

Comments