L'Auberge Del Mar Gets A Facelift


It's always nice to do triple duty on a trip. I am lucky that my parents live in San Diego, and that plenty of publications and sites around California and nearby states like to feature the city as a getaway destination pretty frequently, so my familiarity with the city and its resort areas has really come in handy. Not only that, but when I travel down there for a visit, I get some quality family time, I get to check out the latest hotels, resorts and restaurants, and I usually get a few good article ideas out of it.


This last trip I took over Father's Day Weekend was no exception. I will be writing two San Diego "Weekend Runaway" guides for The Rundown, one on the city and one on Del Mar in North County, just a mile from where my parents live. While I was down there, I thought I would check out the newly renovated L'Auberge Del Mar, which I remember as a dowdy old French-country-style inn a block from the beach. Now, however, it is a beachside resort par excellence, and looks fantastic. Next time I'm down there, I plan to spend the day at their little pool overlooking the Pacific before retiring to the lobby bar for a signature cocktail.


The other piece of luck to come out of my recent weekend trip was that while I was skulking around the grounds taking a few pictures, I ran into a friend of mine who was staying at the hotel with his family, so I got an all access pass to the pool, the lobby, rooms and restaurant, and you can see my photos along with my article here: http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/2009/6/29/12724/3523/hotels/L_Auberge_Del_Mar_Is_Looking_Good_After_Facelift

Comments